Friday, January 14, 2011

German Chocolate Cake

When I found out that my coworkers favorite cake is german chocolate cake, I thought it would be fun to make my own spin on it!
I've made this cake before, but I found the cake to be a little dry, and the filling very sweet and gloopy. So I decided to use the basic flavor ideas but change things a bit. In the process, I think I made the recipe a little easier!
Instead of making a custard with egg yolks, I just stirred cream, nuts and coconut into dulce de leche. I think this was still sweet, but it was tempered a little with the toastiness of the nuts and the caramel of the dulce de leche.
I used the luscious chocolate cake from Elise Strauss' Confetti Cakes
German Chocolate Cake
9 inch chocolate cake, divided between two cake tins, and torted (to get 4 layers).
I tin of dulce de leche (I just boil 3 tins of condensed milk for 3 hours in a saucepan)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup coconut
1 cup pecans
Chocolate buttercream
Chop the pecans, toast for around 5 mins, then add the coconut and toast for a further 5 mins. Watch like a hawk!
Heat the dulce de leche and heavy cream in a saucepan and stir until combined. Add in the chopped pecans and coconut. While this mixture is still warm, pipe a 'dam' of chocolate icing, then spread a layer of the mixture inside the dam.
Add a layer of cake, and build up until you have all 4 layers, topping with the remainder of the nut mixture.
Spread the sides with chocolate buttercream then pipe around the outside to clean up the look of the cake.


caninecologne said...

hi jw - wow, that looks amazing. german chocolate cake is my husband's favorite kind of cake. now i know what to get him when his birthday rolls around!

adozeneggs said...

I might have to try out your recipe. I've got a client that keeps asking me for German chocolate cake and I keep putting it off.... Your cake looks amazing!!

Quay Po Cooks said...

This is a delicious looking cake. I am sure it taste divine with coconut and pecans!