Thursday, January 27, 2011

Daring baker is back!

I was determined to continue with the Daring Bakers, they offer me a wonderful opportunity to try recipes I wouldnt normally, and to vary my techniques. When I saw this months challenge, I was determined to fit it into my insane schedule!

I kept things simple, using a chocolate batter as my decoration for the sponge, and using a stencil helped me to keep things easy but to get a polished looking cake. The chocolate batter was spread through a stencil onto a silpat on a half sheet pan.

As you can see, I ended up with two layers of sponge. I shouldnt have scrimped on the sponge, I should have baked a thicker layer, that way I would have filled the mould(or in my case, springform pan!). This also created problems later when I unmoulded, the outside layer of cake kept trying to peel off.
I had a base layer of cake, then I made a layer of whipped chocolate ganache (this was actually left over truffle mixture, which I added 1 part to 1 part of boiling cream, chilled then whipped. I added a further layer of sponge, then topped with more of the truffle mixture diluted with 1/4 part cream to 1 part truffle. It made a delicious cake, everyone was bowled over by the stylish pattern and the flavors. I'll definitely be playing with this idea in the future!!

If you do try this recipe, bear in mind that I used the same amount of jaconde batter, but divided the decoration batter by 5, and still had extra!!

I also get to show off my new super modern cake stand that my dear husband bought for me this christmas, bless him.

Please visit http://www.thedaringkitchen.com/ to see everyone's wonderful cakes, and for the recipe!

The January 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Astheroshe of the blog accro. She chose to challenge everyone to make a Biscuit Joconde Imprime to wrap around an Entremets dessert.

1 comment:

Cloud said...

It was indeed delicious. Yummmm. I'm getting hungry just remembering it!