Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cupcake decorating party!

Cupcake decorating parties are something that scared me to bits, but someone asked me to help out at a party, and I thought it would be fun to give it a try and it went very well!


I really enjoyed hanging out with my friends kids who were 'helping' me make decorations for a wedding cake, so I had an idea of what would be fun for them.


What I learned was that they were extremely excited by sprinkles and M&M's and that they did like to roll out fondant and cut shapes. I just have to learn how not to laugh at their mutant cyclops bees. Hmmmm.


It can be an extremely messy affair, I was very happy that it wasn't in my house, it was held in a community area of the complex, the table was covered, and I brought lots of parchment sheets so that I could easily clean up after each child.

Another consideration is to make sure that the parents are happy with what the kiddy is eating, they generally end up with more frosting/sprinkles in their mouth than on the cake. Its maybe a good activity for after the meal (if there is a meal).


They did enjoy making one cupcake for now, and one to take home, so I made sure to stock up on little takeout boxes(super cheap from smart and final).

I bought a pipe from home depot and cut it into small pieces to use for rolling out the fondant. It was useful to have confectioners sugar on hand to stop things sticking!

This day brought me closer to my goal, I'm trying to raise nearly $3,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society any way I can and the family were kind enough to give me a donation for my troubles! I'm also making cakes and treats for anyone who wants them!

Weight loss update down another pound! Slow but steady! I realised that my evening meals had been getting bigger and bigger and I've been mindful of how much I'm eating and that is helping!











4 comments:

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

Congrats on your weightloss! I love a good cupcake decorating party. For a family get together not too long ago I brought over an 'ice cream sundae bar' so ice cream and all the fixins. I think I may do a cupcake bar next time!

SweetThingsTO said...

Fun idea! I think adults would love it too - would be great for a bridal or baby shower.

Darlene said...

What a fantastic idea. Now I'm curious to see what a mutant bee looks like!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What a fabulous idea! I think adults and kids would adore this :D I have to admit I still get excited when I come across cool or cute sprinkles :D