Saturday, January 16, 2010

Another weigh in and another healthy recipe, quiche

Oh dear, I've been a lazy blogger, I dont seem to have a lot to talk about since I'm trying to be healthy!

I did want to discuss this quiche, I've made this several times and I actually prefer it to an eggy quiche, which is good, since eggs seem to give me a terrible stomach ache of late.

Looking back, I realise that I've mentioned this recipe before!

I think it deserves a repeat performance though. This time I strayed pretty far away from heidi's recipe! This is a particularly forgiving recipe, the important thing is to add lots of flavor since tofu can be bland. Sundried tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, a little veggie stock and caramelized onions are all great ideas. I also mentioned last time that much as I love heidi, I think I must be more of a whirlwind in the kitchen since I can usually whip this up in around 30mins active time plus 30 mins baking time.

Since pastry isnt terribly great for the waistline I was careful to roll it really thin, and also use one part whole wheat pastry flour to one part all purpose flour. This time I used butter so its not really vegan any more.

Eggless Quiche adapted from 101 cookbooks
your favorite savory tart recipe, baked blind
Olive oil
1 onion, chopped finely
2 tbsp sundried tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 bunch of greens (I used kale)
1 tsp better than bouillon stock

1 package firm silken tofu
1 tsp rice wine vinegar

1 tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt and Pepper

Cook the onions and garlic with some olive oil until nice and caramelized, add the washed and chopped kale and the sundried tomatoes and sautee for around 5 mins. Add salt and pepper, stock and set aside.

Put the tofu, nutritional yeast and vinegar in a food processor and process until smooth then add the greens mixture and pulse a couple of times to mix.

Place in the tart shell and cook for around 30 mins, cover the pastry with foil to prevent burning.

10 in 10 progress:
I've lost another pound! Total loss of 2lb! I've also had a great time on the bike team and I went up a group, plus I managed an extra repeat on torrey pines hill. I'm really enjoying my exercise these days...

7 comments:

adozeneggs said...

It looks like that anon comment is a spam
But that quiche looks great. I just got a vegan Indian cookbook and were working from that for the rest of the winter (after I go through some things this week.) I'm a big fan of tofu, so I'm dying to try this quiche.

LillSis said...

The quiche looks great. I love changing up my quiche recipe. I make it different almost every time. My sister just went vegan so she'd probably enjoy your recipe, too.

Good Luck in challenge and congrats on the weigh in. I've lost three so far and have seven to go!!

Hannah said...

Oh yay, another awesome tofu recipe! I'm so excited to see this- I'll have to try it out asap. :)

aubrey said...

I totally agree, I prefer tofu quiche to egg quiche as well. Egg dishes just don't keep. Nobody wants reheated eggs! But with tofu the quiche will taste even better the next day. Congrats on your weight loss and good luck!

Jacque said...

Oh, how interesting! Might just have to try this.

Way to go, trying to eat healthy. It's not always easy.

Coco Cake Land said...

nice work on the weight loss! ugh, i am trying to shed some body fat too... :)

Erin said...

I'm definitely intrigued by this recipe. Substituting tofu is a great idea. I've used cottage cheese before but this would be even healthier. Nice work!