Friday, January 1, 2010

10 in 10 and a healthy recipe!

Thanks so much to Recipe Girl for kickstarting hundreds of us into getting healthy this new year!I've recently had a very indulgent time, with family staying in September, a trip to the UK in October, our wonderful vacation in Hawaii in November, holiday indulgences, as well as some fatigue and general malais which has left me feeling pretty exhausted and bloated. Whether its a medical issue or not, the facts are plain, I have some weight to lose, so here I am, admitting it to the world!

I've got a horrible feeing I'll need to document everything I eat. This seems to be the only way to keep myself honest, as otherwise I'll be nibbling things left right and center. I'll also need to follow recipe girls lead and get a giant packet of chewing gum and chew gum if I'm making cakes or treats so that I'm not nibbling on things the whole time.

I'll be back next Friday with an update on the weight loss, and every Friday for the next 10 weeks. I'll be participating in a century bike ride in solvang in March, so the added health benefits will also transfer to a much more fun bike ride! This nicely ties in to the 10 week challenge, as its actually the last week!

Here are my goals:
  • Lose 20lb

  • Get back into my nice clothes comfortably

  • Get faster on the bike
  • As I tidied up all my crap that was all over the place, I came across a recipe for katsu curry, which I really loved eating at wagamama, so I thought this would be an excellent sauce that I could have with boring veggies and tofu to spruce them up. It was delicious, it even made my nasty tofurkey from christmas taste palatable!!

This sauce is usually paired with breaded and fried chicken, although I think it will be great with all manner of veggies/meat etc.

Apologies for the ugly photo, this is pretty ugly but tasty, which seems to be a theme for some of the healthier fare!

Katsu Curry Sauce adapted from urban drivel/wagamama

1 tbsp Butter
small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 apples, cored and chopped (leave skin on for healthy fiber)
16oz water
2 tsp better than bouillon not chicken stock
2 bananas, chopped
2 tbsp honey (taste before adding, add to taste, I found the sauce a little on the sweet side)
1 tbsp ground turmeric
1/2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp ground pepper

Sautee the onions in the butter for a few minutes, add the garlic, then the apples and cook a little more, then add the other ingredients and simmer for around 15 minutes until soft. Blend the sauce with a hand blender. If it seems thin, add a tablespoon of cornstarch in some water and heat until thickened.

1 comment:

RecipeGirl said...

Yay! You can certainly accomplish those goals. Think about how much easier your bike ride will be if you feel more fit & healthy? Good luck to you...