Thursday, August 7, 2008

Summer Salads

I finally got around to making something with a mystery bag of grains I got from North Park Produce recently, I'd seen this delicious looking recipe in Gourmet magazine, and I made some veggie burgers with it. Unfortunately they were rather bland, but it sent me off in a different direction, wanting a warm salad with them and the pinto beans instead. I got some green beans in my CSA box too, so they went lovely with some roasted corn from trader joes. This was much tastier, and very wholesome too.


I also found a fennel bulb in there and have seen the shaved fennel salad everywhere on the web, so it seemed like a perfect opportunity to throw them in the food processor, along with cucumbers and celery, to grate a little lemon zest, squeeze the juice and drizzle with olive oil then a dash of salt and pepper and parmesan. I think it would have been even better with something creamy like goat cheese or feta to temper the sour lemon taste with creaminess.

Kashi Salad
1 cup kashi
2 cups water
1 cup green beans, steamed
1 onion, chopped
Garlic, chopped finely
olive oil
1 1/2 cups pinto beans
1/2 cup roasted corn
Bacon Salt
Pepper
Chopped Walnuts

Cook the kashi in the water for 10 mins, or until al dente. Sautee the onions for a few minutes in the olive oil, add the garlic and cook a little more. Add the green beans and corn, stir and turn the heat off. Mix everything together, adding bacon salt and pepper to taste. Great for a packed lunch or a potluck!


1 comment:

Kitt said...

Yum!

A little apple with the fennel might help temper the lemon. I usually do fennel with a Granny Smith.