Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Healthy apricot peach bran muffins

When I saw that cookie madness had a new bran muffin I couldnt resist making myself a new afternoon snack. I've doctored this an awful lot from the original recipe!

I changed the fruit from pineapple to a peach apricot compote I had, and instead of just wheat bran I used a combination of wheat bran, oat bran and wheat germ. I also used mostly white, wholewheat flour rather than whole wheat pastry flour!


I really liked these muffins as a nice filling nutritious snack. They arent very sweet and they are pretty dense from the oat bran and wheat germ. I think I'd reduce the oat bran and wheat germ and increase the wheat bran for a slightly less dense muffin. I can now see how much the oil helps in the delicious pear muffins that farmgirl makes.

Bran, Peach and Apricot Muffins (adapted from Cookie Madness)

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups skim milk
2 scoops protein powder (2 oz?)
1/2 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
8 oz apricot peach compote (or tinned peaches, chopped, or fresh peaches with some sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large egg whites



Combine pastry flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and stir very well to mix.


Combine milk, protein powder, wheat bran wheat germ, oat bran , brown sugar, pineapple and vanilla in a large bowl and let sit for 15 minutes.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.


Mix egg whites into bran mixture. Add flour mixture and stir just until incorporated.


Divide batter evenly among muffin cups and bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love anything with apricots AND find it hard not to tweak recipes, too!

Ann said...

These look really good AND healthy! Love stuff w/ added protein too. Stay cool out there - I feel your pain - it's 112 here lately...